Monday 13 May 2013

So, if you're fat, you're ugly.. Huh?!?

In several damning (and quite rightly so) articles last week, Mike Jeffries the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch openly admitted to only marketing clothes for those people who are deemed 'cool and good looking'. To say I'm aghast would be an understatement. Now, I've never been particularly interested in buying clothes simply because of their label. Indeed those kinda stores tend to intimidate me. There is nothing worse than some perfectly gorgeous woman or man staring at you as if you are a waste of space, whilst you try to pick out something suitable to buy.

Basically, Mike Jeffries disgusts me. I mean, seriously, how does he think that teenagers with low self esteem are going to feel when they realise they may not fit into his idea of the target market? It's certainly not going to make them feel adequate or confident enough to buy his clothes!

To put it simply, he is saying that unless you are beautiful and skinny, you shouldn't be wearing his clothes. Well that's a load of rubbish. I thought the idea behind modern thinking is that you should be able to wear whatever the damn hell you want?!

Surely when hiring staff, you look for those with the most potential, most experience and those generally good with the public? You don't want someone to smile prettily and make the customers feel like they're being judged. I mean shopping is meant to be seen as a fun experience, not something which turns into a bit of a school playground?! It just makes me really angry that he sees it as absolutely fine. I mean the same goes for Hollister. The few times I've been in there, I can't see what I'm buying let alone the people in there. So for all I know, when I go waltzing in, they may all be lined up against the wall with a look on their face which says 'get out!'  I wouldn't know and it's all a bit scary really. To add to that, I'm not a particular fan of getting headaches, but the fact that you have to strain your eyes due to the low lighting, is enough to make me not want to go in there. And then they only hire models, or those with perfect features?! All right, I get it. This isn't the shop for me. I mean I know I'm not a fan of those kind of elitist stores, but the reason why I'm not is because of those damn reasons!

His view is seriously outdated and I wish he could understand just how many people intently despise him. His message is altogether shocking and hard to fathom and I'm not sure if it's honestly worth my time or effort to be writing this, when I could be turning my attention to things I like, as opposed to things I dislike. Oh well, hey ho..

No comments:

Post a Comment