Wednesday 24 October 2012

It ain't just for the oldies.

So last Sunday I went with my family (plus dog) to Felpham - near Bognor Regis - to spend some time with my auntie and uncle. After filling ourselves up with chilli con carne and then tiramisu, we set off on a long walk along the shoreline. It was a wet and cloudy, yet this only seemed to add to the beauty of the place.

Anyway, to cut a long walk short (see what I did there!) we got onto the subject of knitting. Knitting is a skill I have often thought about learning. A few years ago if I'd said I wanted to learn to knit, people would have laughed at me. Since then however, knitting is fast becoming more popular and I know more and more people learning to knit. As someone said to me at work the other day 'it is a dying tradition and we need to keep it'.

I completely agree. Tradition, is to put it simply tradition. It is something that our ancestors have been a part of and therefore surely it is our duty to keep it going?

So we returned to their house and my auntie began to teach me how to knit. It took me a fair few stitches to understand how you did it, but after the first row I was feeling pretty confident. I might be creative but I am by no means artistic. Hence why a few stitches are slightly loose..

Scrap that, it doesn't look good, theres bobbles everywhere and pieces of wool where there shouldn't be.. Anyway, I'm making a scarf and so shall take some pictures when finished!

Knitting is actually therapeutic and I found myself listening to Felicity Kendal's interview on Piers Morgan Life Stories at the same time as knitting without making too many mistakes.

So that's another hobby to keep me occupied and I look forward to showing you all the end product!

No comments:

Post a Comment